History of the Map and Government Information Library

The Map and Government Information Library (MAGIL) was created in 2012, when the Map Library was merged with the government documents collections of the UGA Libraries and moved to the sub-basement of the Main Library on North Campus. 

A brief timeline of the history of maps and government documents at UGA: 

  • 2015: UGA/MAGIL becomes an Association of Southeastern Research Libraries’ Center of Excellence for maps, the U.S. Forest Service, and the Bureau of Soils. The first GIS Librarian is hired and the GIS Lab established.

  • 2012: The Map Library is combined with the government documents collection to form the Map and Government Information Library.

  • 2007: A second car crashed into the Map Library, creating a smaller hole in the wall where it knocked out an old water pipe.

  • 2006: A car crashed into the Map Library, leaving a massive hole in the wall. 

  • 2005: The Map collection is moved to the Thomas Textile Building at the intersection of Whitehall Road and Milledge Ave and was renamed the Map Library.

  • 2003: A fire was started on the second floor of the Main Library. This damaged government documents and the area around it.

  • 2000: The separate Government Documents Department is dissolved; the Government Documents Processing Unit is created and reference services are merged with the Main Library's Reference Department.

  • 1970s: UGA becomes the Regional Federal Depository Library for the state of Georgia (1977) and the current MAGIL space opens as the Richard B. Russell Library (1974).

  • 1960s: The Map Room is established in the Science Library.

  • 1952: The UGA Main Library opens.

  • 1907: UGA becomes a member of the Federal Depository Library Program with other land-grant institutions. 

  • 1858: UGA starts receiving government documents after being designated by Congressman James Jackson.