Any University department sending destruction or storage materials to the Records Center must receive a control number for each set of records before delivery.
Records are not kept for any longer than is absolutely necessary for the performance of their required functions. Inactive records requiring retention for several years need to be transferred annually to the records center for storage and maintenance. Guidelines to help in determining the length of time a record is to be retained can be found at the University System of Georgia Records Management web site. If you have any questions regarding retention please see Retention Schedules.
The Records Center requires the following steps for sending boxes for storage:
- All records sent for storage must be in 12Wx15Lx10H size boxes and properly marked. Please view our storage requirements worksheet for more information on container policies, instruction, and standards.
- Please submit a completed Box Transfer Storage Form below. You will be contacted by email with a control number for the boxes.
- Delivery of boxes to the Records Center may be conducted one of two ways:
- Departmental personnel may deliver boxes to the Records Center. Please call the Records Center to provide notice.
- Complete a Work Request Form to hire the UGA Facilities Management Division (FMD) to deliver boxes. Please provide control number on the form.