Criteria for Nomination
The 2024 Lillian Smith Book Awards nomination criteria are as follows:
- Nominated books must have been published between January 1, 2023 and December 31, 2023 to be considered for the 2024 awards competition
- Books previously published before 2023 in the United States or another country in any format (i.e. paper or electronic) are ineligible.
- Only English language books will be considered.
- Translated books should not be nominated, even if the English translation was published in 2023.
- Young adult and children's books, photo essays, and poetry should not be nominated.
- Anthologies and other edited books, and books published exclusively in electronic formats should not be nominated.
- The Lillian Smith Book Awards are most interested in works that deal with race, social justice, civil and human rights, the education and socialization of young people, breaking silence among repressed groups and matters that are notably significant or of special interest affecting the changing South.
A nomination form must be submitted and $50 per title nomination fee received by January 15, 2024 for consideration. Payment may be completed through the Pay Online form or by check. Please make checks payable to University of Georgia Libraries/Lillian Smith Book Awards.
Nine (9) copies of each nominated title must be mailed to the University of Georgia Libraries for distribution to judges and sponsors.
Lillian Smith Book Awards
Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library
University of Georgia Libraries
Russell Special Collections Building
300 South Hull Street
Athens, GA 30602
Federal Employer I.D. Number: 58-6001998