Science Library Makerspace
The Science Library Makerspace is available as a campus-wide resource that support students, faculty, and staff in creative making. It’s an active learning environment that inspires curiosity, critical thought, exploration, and innovative uses of technology that complement multidisciplinary curricular activities.
Come learn, practice, collaborate, try, fail, and try again!
The Makerspace welcomes all UGA students, staff, faculty, and affiliates for educational, non-commercial purposes free of charge. The Science Library Makerspace supports the UGA Libraries Strategic Plan and advances the University’s mission.
Location Room 381, Science Library
Hours Monday through Friday 9am-6pm CLOSED Saturday and Sunday
- 3D Printers (MakerBot Replicators 5th Gen. and LulzBot TAZ 5)
- 3D Scanner (Structure Sensor)
- Dremel LC40 Laser Cutter (workshops coming soon)
- Raspberry Pi
- Vinyl Cutter (Roland STIKA)
- Virtual Reality (HTC Vive and Oculus Rift)
Spring Semester Workshops
Workshops are open to all UGA students, staff, and faculty with a valid UGA ID
- 3D Design and Printing Wednesdays 1:00pm-2:00pm Reservations required and can be made through the Calendar widget
- Learn to design and print a 3D model using Tinkercad and MakerBot Replicator 3D printers. Workshops include pair-work and we ask that participants create a free Tinkercad account and complete the Let's Learn Tinkercad! tutorial before their session to be familiar with the tool. After successful completion of the 3D Design and Printing workshop, participants may independently use the MakerBot Replicator 3D Printers in the Science Library Makerspace. Successful completion of this workshop is required to use the 3D Printers. If you have a class scheduled at the time of this workshop, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a time that's convenient for you.
- Vinyl Cutting Images and Copyright Monday, March 25th from 1:00pm-2:30pm AND April, 22nd from 1:00pm-2:30pm Reservations required and can be made through the Calendar widget
- Learn how to locate copyright-free images, convert file types using Inkscape, and how to use CutStudio, the print software for the Roland STIKA vinyl cutter. No previous experience required. All supplies provided.
Visit the Makerspace LibGuide for technology video tutorials, resources, and access and usage policies. If you are interested in integrating Makerspace technologies into courses, classwork, or research, please email Andrew Johnson, Emerging Technologies Librarian.