The Georgia Capitol Museum

The Museum seeks to preserve and interpret the history of the Georgia Capitol itself as well as the events that have taken place within its walls. To carry out this purpose, the Museum collects, maintains, and exhibits significant artifacts, including historic flags and works of art, within the State Capitol.

The museum is free and a great complement to a guided/self-guided tour. It is also a wonderful opportunity to introduce our youngest visitors to Georgia.

While most of the exhibits are located on the fourth floor, exhibits, memorials, and artwork can be found throughout the building highlighting Georgia’s history. The Fun with Miss Freedom activity provides a focused tour of the museum’s exhibits.

History of the Georgia Capitol Museum

In 1889 the Georgia General Assembly revived the office of state geologist and directed him “to collect, analyze, and classify specimens of minerals, plants and soils.” The collections were to illustrate Georgia’s scientific and economic resources. A year later the governor designated the corridors of the fourth floor of the Capitol as temporary quarters to house the museum.

In 1955, the General Assembly created the Georgia State Museum of Science and Industry, a new division in the Office of Secretary of State. Following the transfer from the Department of Mines and Mining, the state museum’s collections increased and broadened in scope.

Funding for the Capitol’s restoration provided for improvement in the museum’s exhibitions. The Commission on the Preservation of the Georgia State Capitol was charged in 1994 to provide advice and guidance for the care, conservation, and exhibition of the collection in the Georgia Capitol Museum, officially renamed in 1997. The new design allowed the interpretation of the Atlanta Capitol—its history, construction, and uses—to be exhibited with a fresh, modern approach. The Hall of Valor was added to the first floor, displaying historic battle flags within a museum environment.