Digital Library of Georgia

Soil conservation methods documented in collection of digitized photographs

Submitted by cleveland on Fri, 09/29/2017

A collection of photographs documenting a variety of methods used by farmers and soil conservation scientists and engineers to prevent soil erosion have been added to the Digital Library of Georgia. Funding for this project was provided by Georgia HomePLACE, a unit of the Georgia Public Library Service.

The new collection, USDA Photo Collection, Columbia County, Georgia, is available at  http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/CollectionsA-Z/usdapc_search.html, and was made possible through a partnership between the Digital Library of Georgia, GeorgiaHomePLACE and the Columbia County Library in Evans, Georgia.

Digital Library of Georgia received National Endowment for the Humanities grant to digitize newspapers

Submitted by cleveland on Wed, 08/16/2017

Within two years, the Digital Library of Georgia will digitize 100,000 more pages of Georgia historic newspapers, thanks to a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH).

The DLG will receive $255,590 of the $39.3 million in grants being given for 245 humanities projects across the country. The newspapers selected for digitization will have been published prior to 1963 and will be part of the state’s participation in the National Digital Newspaper Program. The NDNP supports the creation of a national, digital resource of historically significant newspapers published between 1690 and 1963, from all states and U.S. territories.  An advisory committee consisting of journalists, historians, librarians, and archivists will guide the selection of Georgia titles to be scanned.

New website devoted to Georgia historic newspapers available from the Digital Library of Georgia

Submitted by cleveland on Fri, 07/14/2017

The Digital Library of Georgia (DLG) has launched a brand-new website featuring historic newspaper titles from around the state. Georgia Historic Newspapers (GHN), available at http://gahistoricnewspapers.galileo.usg.edu/

Since 2007, the Digital Library of Georgia has been providing access to the state’s historic newspapers through multiple, online city and regional newspaper archives. The DLG’s newest website, Georgia Historic Newspapers (GHN), continues that tradition by bringing together new and existing resources into a single, consolidated website.

North Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive expanded

Submitted by amywatts on Wed, 10/05/2016

The Digital Library of Georgia is pleased to announce the expansion of the North Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive:

http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/ngnewspapers

The North Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive now provides access to fifteen newspaper titles published in nine North Georgia cities (Canton, Cassville, Cedartown, Clayton, Cleveland, Dahlonega, Dalton, Gainesville, and Rome) from 1850 to 1928. Consisting of over 63,000 newspaper pages, the archive provides historical images that are both full-text searchable and can be browsed by date. The site is compatible with all current browsers and the newspaper page images can be viewed without the use of plug-ins or additional software downloads.

Enhanced Macon Telegraph archive released by DLG

Submitted by amywatts on Thu, 08/11/2016

The Digital Library of Georgia is pleased to announce the re-release of the enhanced Macon Telegraph Historic Newspapers Archive:

 http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/telegraph

The Macon Telegraph Historic Newspapers Archive is now compatible with all current browsers and provides access to early issues of the Macon Telegraph ranging from its inception as a weekly newspaper in 1826, through the daily issues of the early twentieth century without the use of plug-ins or additional software downloads. Consisting of over 51,000 newspaper pages, the website provides historical images that are both full-text searchable and can be browsed by date.

South Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive Expanded

Submitted by amywatts on Wed, 06/22/2016

The Digital Library of Georgia is pleased to announce the expansion of the South Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive:

sgnewspapers.galileo.usg.edu/

The South Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive now provides access to 19 newspaper titles published in 12 south Georgia cities (Albany, Americus, Bainbridge, Brunswick, Cairo, Cuthbert, Perry, Thomasville, Tifton, Valdosta, Vienna, and Waycross) from 1845 to 1923. Consisting of over 164,000 newspaper pages, the archive provides historical images that are both full-text searchable and can be browsed by date. The site is compatible with all current browsers and the newspaper page images can be viewed without the use of plug-ins or additional software downloads.