Storage and Retention Requirements
If you intend to use the Records Center to store your department's information, it is important to inform us of their arrival and to use the correct type of box. The Paige Miracle sized boxes are easier for the staff to handle and since materials are stored and destroyed in this facility, these boxes play a role in helping to identify if the material has been sent to be destroyed or placed in storage.
When to Ship - What to Ship
Review 'em. Records are not kept for any longer than is absolutely necessary for the performance of their required functions. Inactive records requiring retention for several years need to be transferred annually to the records center for storage and maintenance. New guidelines to help in determining the length of time a record is to be retained can be found at the University System of Georgia Records Management web site. If you have any questions regarding retention please check out our web page regarding retention schedules.
Storage Box Requirements
Pack 'em. In order for records to be properly stored on the shelves of the Record Center, boxes measuring 12W X 15L X 10H are required. (Copier boxes or the long Bankers boxes can be used for materials to be destroyed.) The boxes need to be neatly organized in their prospective categories as if they are in filing cabinets. Please keep each subject matter filed together as appropriate. For example, since supervising offices only have to keep personnel files for 3 years, put all the terminated files for the year 2007 in a box in alpha order and either store it in your office or if the files aren't used very often, send it to the Records Center until its time for them to be destroyed. Locating files is much easier if all personnel records are boxed separately in alpha order (or clearly divided in the box) from other subjects, such as budget information, instead of being all mixed in together.
Keeping Track of What You Have Sent
Label 'em. See: Box label examples
List on the front of each box:
We strongly suggest an inventory of the files in the boxes. This information can be sent by hardcopy, e-mail or 3 ½ inch floppy computer disk (MS Office). If your department is sending more than 20 boxes of material, an inventory on computer disk is preferable. Please do not hesitate to call if you have any questions.
- box number
- department name
- file years
- beginning and ending of file
- control number
When You are Ready to Ship
Call 'em. Once the information is boxed and labeled correctly, inform Records Management (706-369-5926) of the number of boxes that is being sent and the retention standard that is being followed. Contact with the Records Center can be made by telephone or through the use of the Box Transfer Storage Form. If your department decides to use the form, you will be contacted by email.) Records Management will assign the set of boxes a control number. This control number needs to be written on the outside of each box.
Ship 'em. Departments may choose between doing a self-delivery or hiring Physical Plant for delivery. If your department chooses to self-deliver, please notify the Records Center before delivery. Failure to notify the Record Center prior to sending or delivering the boxes could result in the records being rejected by the Records Center.
To hire Physical Plant please fill out their Work Request Form. Include the control number in the form.
Sample request form steps:
- Sign in with your UGA login information
- Click "Work Request"
- Select the building in which the boxes are located from the dropdown menu
- Enter the room number. If there is no room number a short description would suffice, i.e. 'warehouse'
- Click Next
- Fill in the contact information
- Alternate contact information would be plus in the case that the primary contact is not available
- Click Next
- Sample Brief Description:
We have [enter number of boxes to be delivered] boxes to be picked up from our office and delivered to the UGA Records Center on S. Milledge. Our control number is/are [enter control number(s) assigned to boxes from the Records Center, ie 16-999] Thank you.
- In 'Additional Details' add any additional location information or contact information that will make it easier for Physical Plant professionals to find the contact person and/or the location of the boxes. Also please let Physical Plant know if additional equipment is necessary in order to get to the boxes. For example:
These boxes will have to be taken down 2 flights of stairs or these boxes are on pallets or a pallet may be necessary because we have a large number of boxes, etc.
- Be sure to let Physical Plant know the appropriate time the boxes can be picked up. If 8am-5pm is checked, there is a good chance they may show up at 8am on the dot.
- Click Next
- Enter the account number for billing.
- Click Next
- Double check the information that you have entered
- Click submit.
- Look for an email verifying your submission.