The UGA Libraries has a new Online Catalog!
The UGA Libraries is to a new online catalog system on May 26, 2017.
The new GIL-Find catalog is at the same URL: http://gilfind.uga.edu/
All University System of Georgia (USG) libraries will be changing to the same combined catalog.
Timeline and Service Interruptions
The transition to the new catalog will be on May 26, 2017
There should be few interruptions in service for most users; however, here are a few important dates to know:
- GIL Express is on hiatus from May 5-26.
- During this time, you can use Interlibrary Loan to get books and articles from other libraries.
- Ordering of new materials for the library collections is on hold until after May 26.
- Saved “Favorites” in your current GIL-Find account will not automatically migrate to the new system. Save them by e-mail or into EndNote before May 21. Ask a librarian for help.
- Circulation services will be offline from May 22 thru May 25. Basic services will be available at service points on campus and at remote sites.
Why is it changing?
The online catalog system the Libraries have used for the past 18 years was developed in an era when libraries' collections consisted, almost solely, of physical items. The new system will allow us to better manage our print and digital collections, improve efficiency through shared services across the USG, and expand our assessment capabilities.
What are the improvements?
With the new GIL-Find, you will be able to:
- Use one catalog to search for resources in different formats - no need to check a separate system for online journals.
- Use one catalog to search both University of Georgia and University System of Georgia collections.
- Use your MyID to log into your account and request GIL Express books, review what you have checked out, and save favorites. No more 81# and no more PIN!
- Most books will be automatically renewed twice before having to be returned or renewed in person at the library.
- Browse lists of books by subject, author, title, and more.
How will I get to the new GIL-Find?
The URL will remain http://gilfind.uga.edu.
Will I still be able to…
Borrow books through GIL Express?
Absolutely! With the new GIL-Find, you will no longer have to go to a separate catalog to search and request books from other libraries. Also, Georgia Tech will be re-joining the GIL Express service.
Yes, items in the new GIL-Find will appear in Multi-Search.
Put articles and books on Course Reserve?
Yes, the new GIL-Find includes Course Reserves.
Tip: In the new GIL-Find Course Reserves, use the ‘Advanced search’ to find search options similar to the current catalog such as class, instructor, and department.
What are the technical details?
The new online catalog system is from Ex Libris, a major library vendor with a long history of working with the UGA and USG libraries. Ex Libris provided the system that runs the current GIL as well as our journal locator that powers the “Findit@UGA” links. In the new catalog, Alma is the name of the system that library staff will use for acquisitions, cataloging, circulation, and analytics. Primo is what Ex Libris calls the public catalog that library users search, although we will continue to call our public catalog GIL-Find. Emory and Georgia Tech both use Primo for their online catalogs.
How do I learn more about the new GIL-Find?
Orientations on the New GIL-Find will be held in the Main Library's Instruction Lab at the following times. No registration is necessary.
- Monday, June 5, 2:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 6, 11:00 a.m
- Wednesday, June 7, 3:00 p.m.
- Thursday, June 8, 10:00 a.m.
- Friday, June 9, 1:00 p.m.