Welcome to the Map Library
The Map Library is a research-level cartographic collection whose substantial holdings include maps, aerial photography and remote sensed imagery, atlases, digital spatial data, and reference materials. Its mission is to provide bibliographic, physical, and intellectual access to cartographic information consistent with the mission of the University of Georgia Libraries, with a particular emphasis on cartographic information related to the State of Georgia. As a regional resource center the Map Library serves the University's students, staff and faculty as well as state, regional, national and international researchers.
For information about the Map Library, including our collections, policies, and services,
please choose a link from the menu on the right-hand side of this page.
For links to cartographic resources, including online maps, air photos and GIS data, gazetteers,
reference sources, tools and definitions, please visit our Online Cartographic Resources page.
8-10-07 The Map Library Mini-Intrusion
9-21-06 The Map Library Intrusion
Header Graphic Legend
The images at the top of this page (L to R) are from the following items in our collection:
- Compass rose - Sanborn Fire Insurance Map of Athens, Georgia, 1913
- Clarke County detail - Railroad map of Georgia, Railroad Commission of Georgia, 1911
- Sanford Stadium - ASCS aerial photograph of Clarke County, Georgia, 1955
- Clarke County detail - Georgia Index to Topographic Maps and Other Map Coverage, USGS, 1991
- Detail of campus including the Library - Sanborn Fire Insurance Map of Athens, Georgia, 1885
- Lunar globe used in the movie 'Apollo 13' - Denoyer-Geppert, ca.1970
- Athens East, Georgia 7.5' series (topographic) - USGS, 1998