POSITION: Digital Media Professional - Assistant (Audio Technician – Temporary)
DEPARTMENT: Walter J. Brown Media Archives & Peabody Awards Collection
ANNUAL SALARY: $25,600
The temporary Audio Technician is responsible to the Director of the Media Archives for migrating and preserving digital assets that currently reside on ADAT, DAT and spinning drives. The archive is predominantly a Mac-based environment. Work is performed under general supervision following national and local metadata, audio, and mark-up standards and best practices. Duties include establishing and maintaining an efficient preservation workflow, physically handling archival assets, harvesting metadata from the physical objects, performing preservation transfers, implementing quality control and quality assurance methods, writing data to LTO-5 tapes, and providing progress reports.
This position is a full-time, temporary 12-month assignment that comes with full benefits.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
60% *Performs and monitors preservation transfers
10% *Harvests metadata from physical objects using Excel software and other software as needed.
10% *Troubleshoots and maintains audio equipment used for transfer process.
10% *Performs quality control and quality assurance checks
8% Assists with the intake, storage, management and handling of physical assets.
1% Participates in library-wide communication by reading, responding to, and initiating information transmitted via GRAPEVINE (the Libraries’ listserv) and other communication tools, and appropriate library-wide or departmental meetings and asking questions, seeking clarification, or initiating discussion on library issues.
1% Maintains flexibility and awareness of changes and needs in the department by assuming similar duties and responsibilities as assigned.
* = essential function of the position
Education, Experience, Licensure, Certification required:
- Graduation from an accredited college with background in audio/media technology; OR Two years of college education AND one year related experience (recording engineer); OR any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved; Experience performing repetitive, technical, and complex tasks with accuracy and attention to detail over long periods of time.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies required to successfully perform work:
- Familiarity with the following software applications that include, but are not limited to: Excel, MSWord, Wavelab and Logic.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Effective verbal and written skills.
- Ability to work successfully in a production-oriented environment.
- Accurate keyboarding skills.
- Knowledge of Apple/Mac software and operating system.
- Familiarity with media preservation workflows.
- Ability to maintain consistency in work quality while performing repetitive tasks.
- Strong understanding of both digital audio theory and analog audio system architecture.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Background in audio engineering and music preferred; Familiarity with recording session metadata. Familiarity with digital project setting preferred; Knowledge of creating digital objects in a high production environment preferred; Experience working with digital audio editor software; Capable of troubleshooting audio systems; Understanding of obsolete formats issues, especially digital audio formats.
- Sitting for long periods of time at a computer terminal is required. Position also entails lifting boxes weighing approximately 40-50 pounds each.
- M-F; 8 hrs/day; some evening and weekend work may be required.
Only applications submitted through the University of Georgia's Human Resources Employment website will be considered. Please visit the University of Georgia's Human Resources Employment website at https://www.ugajobsearch.com/applicants/jsp/shared/Welcome_css.jsp and follow the instructions to submit an online application. Position posting number = 20152154.
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.