From Ahmedunggar to Lavonia:
Presidents at the University of Georgia 1785-1997
Charles M. Snelling
Born November 3, 1862, Richmond, VA; Died September 19, 1939, Athens, GA. VMI Graduate; Hon. A.M. University of Georgia (1890); Hon. Sc.D., University of Pittsburgh (1911).
After teaching at VMI and GMI in Savannah, as well as a 2-year stint teaching at South Georgia College in Thomasville, Snelling came to the University in 1888 as an Adjunct Professor of Mathematics and Commandant of Cadets. From 1909, when he became Dean of the University, until 1932, when he stepped down as Chancellor of the University to become the first Chancellor of the University System of the State of Georgia, Snelling served with administrative distinction at UGA. Following his retirement in 1933, he became director of adult education for the state, a post he held until his death.
The Bureau of Business Research was formed in 1929; The Institute of Public Affairs (1927) brought international attention to the campus, and the Lumpkin Law School was reorganized. Snelling oversaw an Alumni Building Fund which would raise $800,000 for campus construction. Ms. J.H. Bryan was hired as first female faculty member (Journalism, 1928). The Department of Music and Fine Arts was organized in 1926 under Hugh Hodgson, and the division of General Extension was formed to oversee the growing dynamics of adult education as a service mission of the University.
Women's P.E. Building (1928); Brooks Hall (1928); Sanford Stadium (1929); Military Science Building (1931); Hirsch Hall (Law School, 1932).