From Ahmedunggar to Lavonia:
Presidents at the University of Georgia 1785-1997
Andrew A. Lipscomb
1860-74 (As Chancellor)
Born September 5, 1816, Georgetown, DC; Died November 23, 1890, Athens, GA. Hon. D.D., University of Alabama (1851); Hon. LL.D., Emory University (1853).
Lipscomb became a minister in the Methodist Protestant Church. In 1849, he founded Metropolitan Institute for Young Ladies in Montgomery, AL and in 1856, became President of Tuskegee Female College. He accepted President's post at UGA in 1860. After leaving the University, he taught briefly at Vanderbilt and returned to Athens where he wrote and lectured for the rest of his life.
UGA closed the fall of 1863 and reopened after the war on January 5, 1866. Lipscomb proposed six divisions to reorganize the university: University High School, Franklin College (Arts and Sciences), School of Agriculture, School of Engineering, Law Department, and Elective Department. He was a progressive leader who attempted a utilitarian approach to higher education at UGA with emphasis on public service. The State Agricultural college was sited in Athens during his tenure on May 1, 1872.
Library (North half of present Academic Building, 1862); Moore College (1874).