From Ahmedunggar to Lavonia:
Presidents at the University of Georgia 1785-1997
Henry H. Tucker
Born May 10, 1819, Near Camak, GA; Died September 9, 1889. B.A. Columbian College (1838), Hon. D.D. Columbian College (1860), Hon. LL.D. Mercer College (1876).
Tucker came to Georgia in 1842. In 1846, he was admitted to the state bar, but turned to religion when his new wife died. After study at Mercer, he was ordained a Baptist minister. After the war, Tucker edited the Christian Index, then was elected president of Mercer (1866-71). During his tenure, the school moved from Penfield to Macon. After several years in Europe, Tucker returned to accept the President's post at the University. After leaving UGA, Tucker became owner and editor of the Christian Index.
Tucker built a case for a move away from the "University" model of Lipscomb, towards a more classical model, emphasizing fundamentals of liberal arts education and religious training. He also banned fraternities from campus during his administration.
All images on the Hargrett site are either protected by copyright law, or are the property of the University of Georgia Libraries, Hargrett Library. Permission to publish must be obtained from both the Hargrett Library, and/or the legal copyright holder. See: Permission to Publish