University of Georgia Special Collections Libraries
University of Georgia Libraries

From Ahmedunggar to Lavonia:
Presidents at the University of Georgia 1785-1997

David C. Barrow

1906-25

Biography

Born October 18, 1852, Oglethorpe Co., GA; Died January 11, 1929, Athens, GA. B.S. (1874), C & M.E., (1874), Univ. of Georgia; Hon. M.A. (1880), D.Sc. (1914) Univ. of Georgia ; Hon. LL.D. Emory College (1908).

image of David C. Barrow

After graduation, Barrow worked for the state geological survey, practiced law in Athens with his brother Pope, and farmed on the family plantation south of town. In 1879, he joined the faculty at the university as an Adjunct Professor in Mathematics. He steadily rose through the faculty and administrative ranks. He became Dean of Franklin College in 1898 and shortly after the death of Walter Hill in 1906, succeeded him to the Chancellor's position. After leaving the Chancellor's post, Barrow spent a quiet retirement in Athens until his death in 1929.

co-ed students in 1924

Accomplishments

During Barrow's tenure, the Schools of Forestry (1906), Education (1908), Graduate Studies (1910); Commerce (1912), and Journalism (1915) were formed. Also during his tenure, student enrollment quadrupled and the number of faculty tripled. Under Barrow's Chancellorship, women were admitted for the first time as special summer students in 1903. In 1916, they gained access to the Graduate School, and finally, in September of 1918, women were admitted to the University as undergraduates. Funding increased tenfold, and Barrow won over many in the state as supporters for the University with his public stance of a University education serving as moral character building for service to state and society. "Uncle Dave" expressed the best that the progressive South had to offer. Despite the unruly crowds at football games, especially the UGA/Georgia Tech games, Barrow's tenure was largely characterized by amity, growth, and a growing awareness of the importance of the health of the University for the future of the State as a whole.

Buildings

Conner Hall (1908); Peabody Hall (1913); Barrow Hall (1916); Soule Hall (1920); Hardman Hall (1922); Milledge Hall (1925); Memorial Hall (1925).

 


All images on the Hargrett site are either protected by copyright law, or are the property of the University of Georgia Libraries, Hargrett Library. Permission to publish must be obtained from both the Hargrett Library, and/or the legal copyright holder. See: Permission to Publish