Manuscripts and Photographs
The manuscripts area of the Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library is the repository for over six million individual items including family papers, diaries, letters, theatrical papers, corporate and organizational papers. Included in this count are over five hundred thousand images, made up of drawings, paintings, photographs, daguerreotypes, tintypes, cased images, slides and negatives.
The manuscripts area collects primarily materials relating to Georgia and Georgians, though the international performing arts collections form a second major strength. Chronologically, the collections are strongest in 19th Century materials.
Using the collection:
- Search/browse Manuscripts Finding Aids
- Digitized holdings are available from the Digital Collections page
- Sanford Family Papers: about | finding aid
- Charles Coburn Collection: finding aid | selected images
- Freddy Wittop Collection: finding aid | selected images
- Paris Music Hall Collection: finding aid | selected images
- De Renne Family Papers: finding aids
- Stephen Elliot Draper Center & Archives for the Waters of Georgia in History, Law & Policy: about
- Lt. Cornelius C. Platter's Diary: finding aid | digital collection
- Keith M. Read Collection: finding aid
- Guido Adler Collection: about | inventory
- Olin Downes Collection: finding aid
- E. Merton Coulter Manuscripts and Pamphlets: finding aids
- E. Paul Torrance Papers: finding aid
- Robert Toombs, Letters to Julia Ann DuBose Toombs, 1850-1867: finding aid | digital collection
- Robert E. Williams Photography Collection: finding aid | digital collection
Note: Users may see also an older version of the Manuscripts Catalog, no longer maintained.