hargrett library :: lillian smith book awards
The Lillian Smith Book Awards are sponsored by the Southern Regional Council, University of Georgia Libraries, DeKalb County Public Library/ Georgia Center for the Book and Piedmont College
- The 2017 Lillian Smith Book Award nomination/submission criteria are as follows:
- Nominated books must have been published between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016 to be considered for the 2017 awards competition.
- Books previously published before 2016 in the United States or another country in any format (i.e. paper or electronic) are ineligible.
- Only English language books will be considered.
- Translated books should not be nominated, even if the English translation was published in 2016.
- Anthologies and other edited books, and books published exclusively in electronic formats should not be nominated.
- The Lillian Smith Book Awards are most interested in works that deal with race, social justice, civil and human rights, the education and socialization of young people, breaking silence among repressed groups and matters that are notably significant or of special interest affecting the changing South.
- Please type nomination form in order to assure prompt processing.
- The deadline for submissions is Wednesday, March 1, 2017.
- You must complete a separate nomination form for each nominated book.
- A $50.00 nomination fee will be assessed for each nominated book.
- Please make checks payable to University of Georgia Libraries/Lillian Smith Book Awards.
- You must donate eight (8) copies of each nominated book to the University of Georgia Libraries for distribution to judges and sponsors.
MAIL BOOKS, NOMINATION FORMS AND NOMINATION FEES TO:
Lillian Smith Book Awards
Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library
University of Georgia Libraries
Russell Special Collections Building
300 South Hull Street
Athens, GA 30602