Gonfalons (Banners) Designed for UGA Bicentennial Commencement Ceremonies (1985) and the Banner Used in President Adams' Inaugural Ceremony (1998)
Record Group: 1 (President)
7.8 Linear Ft: 4 Newspaper Boxes
The gonfalons (banners) in this collection were designed and put into use at the Commencement ceremonies in 1985 as one of the University's Bicentennial initiatives. The gonfalons represents UGA's, then, thirteen schools and colleges. They were displayed around the outside edge of the graduation stage in the order , left to right, in which the schools and colleges were established.
The gonfalons represent: Franklin College of Arts and Sciences (1801), College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (1859), School of Law (1859), College of Pharmacy (1903), Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources (1906), College of Education (1908), Graduate School (1910), Terry College of Business (1912), Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication (1915), College of Family and Consumer Sciences (1933), College of Veterinary Medicine (1946), School of Social Work (1964), and College of Environment and Design (1969).
The other three gonfalons, usually displayed to the left of the stage, represent the motto of the University of Georgia, "to teach, to serve and to inquire into the nature of things". From left to right, these are teaching, research and service.
Over the years the colors faded and, in 1998 for President Adam's inaugural ceremony, a new set of gonfalons was created and this original set was put in storage. Since then, three additional schools have been established and new gonfalons were created in the same style as the previous ones. They new set in currently used at UGA's Commencement ceremonies. Text courtesy of Tommy Altman.
The large gray University of Georgia banner was used as a backdrop at President Michael Adams' 1998 inaugural.
Scope and Content:
This first three boxes of this collections contain gonfalons designed and used at University of Georgia's Commencements from 1985 until 1998. There is a banner for each of UGA's, then, thirteen schools and colleges plus three additional ones that represent the University's motto of teaching, research and service. Box four contains the banner that was used in President Adams' 1998 inauguration ceremony.
These materials have been placed into acid free newspaper boxes and surrounded with archival quality tissue paper.
UGA 12-:035:1-3 (Gonfalons 1985)
UGA 12-:035:4 (Inauguration Banner 1998)