The Dr. Louis Moore Lithograph of The University of Georgia, Circa 1854 UGA 06-026
Is this the earliest known close view of the University of Georgia campus?
While this lithograph has many similarities with the better known print from Gleason's Pictorial of May 13 1854 (see below), there are many tantalizing differences. This view seems more realistic and leads us to believe it may have been the model for the more stylized and inaccurate Gleason's view, which perhaps was done by someone who had never been near the campus.
Note in particular how the trees, including the famous Toombs oak in front of the Chapel, sport realistically broken branches. In the Gleason's view the trees are stylized. Perspective is much more accurate in this print and the Lustrat house and Old College are obscured by pine trees. In the Gleason's print the pine grove has been thinned, but the artist has transformed Lustrat house into an enormous three story building. Our theory is that the Gleason's artist only had this print to go by and had to guess at what was beyond the trees.
It's interesting that both prints feature a Demosthenian Hall with a gabled roof and without the central window. While the lithograph bungles the wheels of the carriage, the individuality of the people in the view is fascinating.
Unfortunately time has been harsh with the lithograph and it was trimmed to fit into a smaller frame, obliterating the name of the company producing the print and the name of the artist. Illustrations using this print appear in older issues of the Georgia Alumni Record, so it is hoped that at least one other and better preserved copy still exists somewhere.
This copy, however, has additional noteworthy ties to the University. It comes from "Tockwotton", the home of Louis Moore, a famous collector of books. In 1936 his library became the foundation of the Hargrett Library, shortly before the equally famous DeRenne Collection was acquired. Researchers in the Hargrett will frequently encounter a Louis Moore bookplate in front of a work they are consulting. When the Moore library moved to the University, the family kept this print. Eventually it came into the hands of Moore's nephew and namesake, Dr. Louis Moore of Naples, Florida, who generously donated it to the University for the use of researchers.
The Campus as Shown in Gleason's Pictorial and Drawing Room Companion, May 13, 1854
This famous view of the early university, appeared in the magazine Gleason's Pictorial and Drawing Room Companion in May, 1854, together with a short description of the institution.
Street traffic is much more hazardous for dogs today, but many of the buildings remain. Shown from left to right are: Phi Kappa Hall, Waddel Hall, Old College, New College, the Chapel, Demosthenian Hall, the "Ivy" building and a Presbyterian church. Phi Kappa, Old College and New College are easy to recognize today. The Chapel is little changed, except for the removal of its bell tower. Demosthenian Hall is drawn with gables, rather than its hipped roof. Considerable artistic license has been taken with tiny Waddel Hall, making it appear as a major structure. The Presbyterian church was replaced by the Library Building, which eventually became the right wing of today's Holmes-Hunter Academic Building. The Ivy Building, named for the thick coat of vines it eventually developed, was absorbed into the left wing of the Holmes-Hunter Building.Both the caption and the title of the short description refer to the University of Georgia as Franklin College, the name of the College of Arts & Sciences. University Archives also has acquired what we think is an earlier version of this scene, a color lithograph, UGA 06-026, which can be viewed at: http://www.libs.uga.edu/hargrett/archives/uga06-026.html .
A Description of the University of Georgia from Gleason's Pictorial and Drawing Room Companion, May 1854
FRANKLIN COLLEGE OF GEORGIA
This institution, of which we present an engraving above, is located in Athens, Clarke county. As early as 1778-9 the Legislature of Georgia made liberal endowments for the establishment of the University, but is did not go into operation until 1801. Alonzo Church, D.D., of Brattleborough, Vermont, a graduate of Middlebury College, Vermont, has been its president since 1829. Dr. Church possesses every qualification for the office he had so long filled. It has six professorships, and three instructors, and at present reckons 151 students, in the various departments. The buildings belonging to the college are two used for lodging rooms for students, a philosophical hall and chemical laboratory, a chapel, a library and cabinet, president's house and three houses for the professors. The library contains between eight and nine thousand volumes. The philosophical apparatus is one of the most extensive and complete in the country - the chemical laboratory is ample, the cabinet of minerals large, the botanic garden in good order. Connected with the college are two societies. Each has a very neat and convenience hall, erected at the expense of the society. The library of each of these associations contains over two thousand volumes.
All images on the Hargrett site are either protected by copyright law, or are the property of the University of Georgia Libraries, Hargrett Library. Permission to publish must be obtained from both the Hargrett Library, and/or the legal copyright holder. See: Permission to Publish