Finding Aid for the George Nelson Exhibition Catalog, Vitra Design Museum, 2009. UGA 09-004
RG 2-10-1 School of Art
One half-manuscript box, .25 linear feet.
In 1952 noted American designer, George Nelson (1908-1986) was invited to the University by Art School Director Lamar Dodd to advise the faculty on an art curriculum. This consultation led to Nelson, designer Charles Eames (1907-1978) and architect Alexander Girard (1907-1993) coming to the school in 1953 to present a sample lecture involving the integration of media such as film, tape recordings and slides. The lecture was entitled "Art X" and was presented multiple times, both at Georgia and at the University of California at Los Angeles. In 1957 Nelson returned to the University of Georgia to design the interiors of the new Georgia Center for Continuing Education building.
Scope and Content:
In 2009 the Vitra Design Museum of Weil am Rhine, Germany, staged a major exhibit of Nelson’s work, including his activity at the University. The museum kindly donated this copy of the exhibit catalog to the University Archives. Nelson's work at Georgia is described on pages 172-175 of the handsomely-illustrated catalog. The original of the brochure shown in the exhibit catalog, announcing the appointment of Nelson and Eames, is located in collection UGA 85-007, School of Art Estrays, box 2, folder 8.
Over the years the Georgia Center has been much remodeled. Those interested in Nelson’s original 1950’s modernism may wish to examine collection UGA 94-101, Georgia Center Historical Materials, 1950-1970, http://www.libs.uga.edu/hargrett/archives/uga94-101.html. Of particular interest is the c. 1957 album of color photographs in folder 10.
- Exhibit catalog, George Nelson: Architect, Writer, Designer, Teacher. Weil am Rhine, Germany. Vitra Design Stiftung gGmbH, 2008.
- Exhibit materials printed from the Internet