The Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library is pleased to announce the opening of the Lane Greene architectural records.
W. Lane Greene (1935-2009) was a preservation architect based in Atlanta, Georgia. He was born in Jones County, Georgia to Jerrold and Floreen Jones Green. After high school he joined the Marine Corps. He then attended Georgia Tech and earned a degree in architecture. Greene worked on projects all over Georgia, but a major portion of his work took place in Athens, including the restoration of Demosthenian Hall at the University of Georgia and the Morton Theatre. He also restored several sites in Madison, such as the Madison-Morgan Cultural Center and Madison Baptist Church. His other work includes many courthouses, antebellum houses, railroad depots, historic school buildings, and libraries around Georgia and the southeast. He served on the Board of Directors for the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation, the Urban Design Commission of Atlanta, and the review board for the National Register of Historic Places. Greene passed away in 2009 at the age of 74.
The collection consists of Greene’s project files, manuals, and architectural drawings and plans, most of which date from the late 1970s until the early 2000s. The project files consist largely of financial and planning documentation that circulated among contractors, clients, and Greene. The project manuals are bound volumes that served as instructions for contractors as they carried out projects. The drawings and plans are mostly large format documents that illustrate floor plans, elevations, electrical and mechanical work, land surveys, and other aspects of project design. These records serve as an excellent sample of historic preservation work in Georgia since the 1970s.
The finding aid may be found here: hmfa.libs.uga.edu/hmfa/view?docId=ead/ms3731-ead.xml