Travel and Funding Guidelines

Staff/faculty training and development is a joint responsibility between the staff/faculty member and the Libraries. Individual staff/faculty are expected to take some responsibility for their own growth in knowledge and skill and also to take the initiative in identifying courses, workshops, conferences, and other educational, professional, or skills-oriented opportunities. Staff/faculty professional development is supported by the University Libraries through funding and/or release time from employment responsibilities.

There are three types of funding areas: faculty professional development, administrative, and training. Generally, travel should follow these basic steps:

  1. Discuss potential travel with your supervisor first to obtain their approval.

    • For faculty members – once your supervisor has approved the travel and if you are using your allotted professional development funds, proceed to step 2.
    • For staff members - this is a critical step as you likely do not have allotted professional development funds. Your Department Head must contact the University Librarian and make a case as to why your travel is beneficial to the Libraries, aligning with the administrative or training funding categories. Your Department Head will inform you as to whether or not the request is approved.
  2. Complete the Request Form and submit it to Sarah Skipper. NOTE: If your travel takes you outside of Georgia, you will need to do this no later than two weeks in advance so that Sarah can fill out additional Travel Authority forms. If you want to drive a UGA vehicle, you will also need to fill out the Request for UGA Vehicle form.
  3. Complete your travel. NOTE: If you are staying overnight in Georgia, you’ll need to bring the State of Georgia Exemption of Local Hotel/Motel Excise Tax Form and the State of Georgia Sales Tax Certificate of Exemption Form with you and present it to the motel/hotel operators. If you are driving your personal vehicle you will also need to carry the Georgia Liability Insurance Identification Card.
  4. Within two weeks of your return, complete a Travel Expense Statement and submit it, along with original receipts, to Sarah Skipper. Generally, meals are reimbursed at the per diem rates and, therefore, receipts are not required.  If you lose an original receipt, bank statements can be used instead.

Please check out the Frequently Asked Questions to learn more about how to complete each step. If you have additional questions, please contact Sarah Skipper at


Helpful Links:

Libraries Training, Conference and Travel Funding Request Form

Request for UGA Vehicle form and UGA motor pool procedures and guidelines

State of Georgia Exemption of Local Hotel/Motel Excise Tax Form

State of Georgia Sales Tax Certificate of Exemption Form

Georgia Liability Insurance Identification Card (Should always be carried when driving a personal vehicle on UGA business.)

Travel Agencies Authorized by UGA

University of Georgia Travel Regulations

Per Diem Rates

Travel Expense Statement (Requires your MyID and password)